March 30, 2005

A thousand years, a thousand more, a thousand times, a million doors to eternity. I may have lived a thousand lives, a thousand times, an endless turning stairway climbs to a tower of souls. If it takes another thousand years, a thousand wars,
the towers rise to numberless floors in space. I could shed another million tears, a million breaths, a million names, but only one truth to face. A million roads, a million fears, a million suns, ten million years of uncertainty. I could speak a million lies, a million songs, a million rights, a million wrongs in this balance of time. But if there was a single truth, a single light, a single thought, a singular touch of grace. Then following this single point, this single flame, the single haunted memory of your face.

I still love you! I still want you!

A thousand times the mysteries unfold themselves, like galaxies in my head.

I may be numberless, I may be innocent, I may know many things, I may be ignorant. Or I could ride with kings and conquer many lands. Or win this world at cards and let it slip my hands. I could be cannon food, destroyed a thousand times. Reborn as fortune’s child to judge another’s crimes. Or wear this pilgrim’s cloak, or be a common thief. I’ve kept this single faith, I have but one belief.

I still love you! I still want you!

A thousand times the mysteries unfold themselves like galaxies in my head. On and on the mysteries unwind themselves, eternities still unsaid, ’til you love me.

No comments: